Friday, October 30, 2009

Liz Miele for Williamsport City Council?

Have you met Liz Miele, candidate for Williamsport City Council?


Roots in Williamsport

Born and raised in Williamsport, I'm the third generation of my family to live in the city. After graduating from Williamsport Area High School, I attended Brown University in Providence, RI where I received my B.A. in Italian Studies. I traveled and lived around the country, but my strong family ties to the Williamsport area, the pleasures of small city life, and my love of the beautiful Susquehanna River Valley made me choose to move back to Williamsport. I hope to make that decision even easier for other young residents of Williamsport by making this an even better city, full of opportunities (and jobs!) for our kids.
Working for Williamsport
I have worked at my family’s restaurant, the Peter Herdic House in Williamsport Historic District, since I was 14 years old. Now that I’m the executive chef, my kitchen sources from more than 30 different local farms and businesses helping to support the local economy. When I was 25, I founded the all-volunteer Williamsport Guardian newspaper to provide a voice for Williamsport’s younger generation. At 27, I helped to found the Williamsport Community Garden Project, to open up gardening spaces to city center residents by establishing community gardens throughout Williamsport. These ventures demonstrate my passion and enthusiasm for Williamsport, which I will take to the next level when I join the ranks of Williamsport City Council.
The Future of Williamsport
When I’m elected to Williamsport City Council in November, I will work cooperatively with all members of city government to put the people of Williamsport first and to make city government open and accessible to everyone. I will work diligently to bring higher paying jobs to our city. I will work to make downtown Williamsport even more vital and to focus on Williamsport’s many other neighborhoods. I will work to expand the tourism potential of our city and our region, with an eye toward sustainable economic and environmental development. I will work to protect our historic heritage, but also encourage new avenues to better our quality of life, such as public art initiatives, park renovation and biking and walking routes. I will work to better city infrastructure, so that all of our citizens can walk, ride, and drive safely on city streets and sidewalks. I’ll do this because I know that Williamsport is a great city and I pledge to make it even better city during my council tenure.
Can you help me write the recipe for an even better Williamsport?

Contact me via email, blog or phone to let me know what issues you think are important in Williamsport. Volunteer to spread the word.
And most importantly...Vote Liz Miele on November 3 to move our city forward!
Sincerely,
Liz Miele
Phone 570.326.0411
Visit lizmielecooks.com

No comments: